Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Off the Grid

It turns out that I barely exist in the system. Between our lack of cell phones, my refusal to use credit cards, and my expired Florida drivers license, I am beginning to feel like one of those people who have been living 'off the land' completely outside of civilization and all of its related bindings.

One thing has become very clear...I will get a lot more done if i can drive. So off to the DMV I go on my borrowed bike. It is in an industrial area two towns over and a bit of a ride, but I make my appointment in good time and even have time to have my first 'in n out burger' experience. I am pretty sure that I startled the poor kid behind the counter when I wandered in with my helmet in hand (safety first!), looking a bit hot and sweaty, asking for the time and a coke. If my appearance on bicycle in an industrial park wasn't enough, when I pulled out my wallet to find the change, the first thing that popped out was the xanax pill that Korrie gave me for my flight with Abi. You should have seen the poor guy's face!

Anyway, back on my bike and onward to the DMV, coke in hand. On arrival, I was very suprised to learn that the DMV of all places is the first place I've gone in California with no bike racks. I would have thought that surely I couldn't be the only person who couldn't drive myself to an appointment to get a drivers license...right? So I chained my bike to a chain-link fence (yes, I realize how redneck that sounds...but what else was I supposed to do?!) and hoped it would still be there when I got back.

DMV was fine, although I highly recommend an appointment. Passed the test with two to spare and proudly posed for my picture. Not my best shot, and I will certainly be reminded of my bike ride through the Valley in the heat. :)


With license in hand, I realized that I was very near to the car dealer that Jason had found locally. So off I rode once again (bike happily waiting for me outside) to find a car. After much research, Jason narrowed our car choice down to include the Subaru Outback, so up I rode to the Subaru dealer where I parked my bike and asked to see an Outback.

Once the guy got over his initial (visible) surprise at my bike, he moved smoothly into sales mode and showed me some cars. He even offered me a test drive (after asking if I could drive), but I told him that I hadn't been driving regularly for nearly 12 years and I'd rather not start with his new cars. The relief on his face nearly made me laugh out loud.


1 comment: